The American Consulate General in Jerusalem Announces
the 2015 Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program (TEA)
Deadline: May 1, 2015
This program is designed to bring together international secondary level teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), social studies, math, science, and social studies, and special education teachers in those subject areas, to the United States for professional development programs. Teachers will be placed in cohorts of about 18-20 teachers at eight U.S. universities that will be selected through a competitive process. (one program in the spring of 2016, the other in the fall of 2016). The program is fully sponsored by the Department of State in Washington D.C. in cooperative with the International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX).
- Applicants must be secondary-level, full-time teachers with a Bachelor's degree or the equivalent, and have five or more years of classroom experience in English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), math, science, or social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects.
- Please note that this is a program for practicing teachers. Ministry of Education officials, full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
- Be proficient in English to enable active participation in the academic program. Attain a minimum score of 450 on the TOEFL or equivalent exam, ITP or IELTS.
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities;
- Have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations.
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States.
- Have had little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- Participants are expected to participate fully in the academic program.
- Applicants must reside in the country of citizenship at the time of application.
- Applicants who have recently traveled to the U.S. for exchange programs such as SUSI or IVLP or to other Western countries for professional development should be given lower priority.
- Holders of American passports or green card are not eligible.
- IREX will provide all teachers with an international airline ticket. IREX will also reimburse them for round-trip travel expenses between their home city and the point of departure for the U.S.
Application Deadline and inquiries:
Jerusalem and West Bank Applicants: Email completed application packages to email@example.com; call 02-622-7172 or (0545) 420 953 for more information.
Gaza Applicants: Email completed application packages to GazaExchanges@gmail.com; call 08-286-4623, or 059-967-7317 for more information.