PTUK – Consultant Council
Despite its apparent meaning, the Advisory Council represents the highest body in the structure of PTUK governing hierarchy. In fact, it’s a legislative body. It is responsible for monitoring the application of the university’s law and regulations concerning all aspects of university life. It is also responsible for approving the educational policies of the university and ensuring they are consistent with the university’s vision and strategy.
The Advisory Council is still pending.
The main law articles related to Palestinian public universities: No. 11- of 2009
The following Law articles are related to the formation of the Advisory Council:
Article (7): Forming the Council
“The University shall have an (Advisory) Council formed by the President of the Palestinian National Authority as per the recommendation he receives from the Council of Ministers, on the advice of the Minister of Higher Education.
Article (8): Structure of the Advisory Board
The Council consists of thirteen members.
- The chairperson of the Council and the other members shall be appointed by the President of the Palestinian National Authority following the recommendation he receives from the Council of Ministers, on the advice of the Minister of Higher Education.
- Termination of membership or acceptance of resignation of any member will likewise be by a process similar to the appointment procedure.
- Members of the council are normally selected from those who possess administrative and planning competencies, have a minimum qualification to a bachelor degree and have a vision, experience, communication and planning skills with credibility in their fields.
- Council members who are nominated to the board by different government ministries are also required, in addition to the qualifications stated in the previous clause, to be of senior position in their ministry and be familiar with the work of the council.
- Membership in the Council shall be for a period of four years, renewable for one time only.
Article (9): Election of the Vice-President of the Council and the Rapporteur:
- Council members shall elect from amongst themselves a Vice-Chairperson, who shall act as Chairperson the absence of the appointed Chairperson.
- Council members shall also elect a Rapporteur who shall act as the Secretariat of the Council.
Article (10): Powers of the Advisory Board
The Council shall have the following powers:
- Draw up the general policy of the University, based on the recommendation of the university President and following the recommendation of the University Council. It also ensures that adequate steps are taken to implement this policy in order to achieve the university vision, mission and objectives.
- Approve the University’s development plans as well as the annual projects, prepared by the President and approved by the University Council.
- Approve the University association with other institutions, whether from the public or the private sector, upon the recommendation of the university President.
- Lay the foundations for monitoring educational quality and standards in the university, by adopting and implementing recognized national and international higher education quality systems.
- Enhancing scientific research within the university as well as through external collaboration with other national and international research centers and institutions.
- Provide extra financial resources to support the university and oversee the university’s investment projects and activities at home and abroad.
- Accept donations, grants and wills made to the university for up to one million JD or less. If the sum donated exceeds this amount, the Council shall refer the matter to the Minister for approval first.
- Approve the University’s budget and final accounts prepared by the President and approved by the University Council.
- Approve any job vacancies recommended by the President within the university employment budget.
- Approve the academic promotions and new scientific ranks as per the recommendation made by the University’s President and the Council of Deans.
- Consider any financial decisions submitted by the University President, in accordance with the powers given to him within the financial regulations adopted by the University.
- Form committees to study specific cases related to the university.
- Contract with a legal accounting body to audit the University’s annual accounts. The Council shall also determine any fees involved for this task.
- Consider other matters related to the University, submitted to it by the University President, which do not fall within the powers of any other bodies stipulated in this Law.
Article (11): The Advisory Council Convention
- The Council shall convene its ordinary meetings at least once every two months. The Chairperson shall invite all members of the board to the meeting, in writing, at least a week before the actual meeting date, including information such as the time of the meeting, the venue and the meeting agenda.
- The Council shall hold extraordinary meetings whenever the need arises, upon receiving a request from the Chairperson himself or upon receiving a written request from at least one third of members.
- The convening of the Board shall be considered legal in presence of the absolute majority of members, including the Chairman. If the absolute majority cannot be present, the meeting shall be postponed not later than a week from the scheduled date of the meeting.
- Minutes of all meetings shall be documented and signed by all present members of the Council.
Article (12): Council Decisions
Council Decisions shall be made by an absolute majority of votes of the members present in the meeting.
Article (13): Dedicated powers of the Chairperson
The Chairperson of the Council shall exercise the following powers:
- Preside over all Council meetings – when present.
- Calls the Board to convene in accordance with the provisions of this Law.
- Sign the decisions and instructions issued by the Council.