Frequently Asked Questions

 Frequently Asked Questions

 How do I calculate my GPA?

Cumulative GPA = the sum of the educational outputs plus the credit hours divided by the total number of credit hours the student has studied up to the date of calculating that average.

 Note: Repeated courses are only summed once in the GPA and only the new grade is calculated.

Absence from Exams

  • A zero score is automatically given for missing a final exam with no valid excuse.
  • Students are given the opportunity to make up missed final exams due to an excused absence.
  • A zero score is automatically given for missing a midterm exam with no valid excuse.
  •  Students are given the opportunity to make up missed midterm exams due to an excused absence.

What is the Policy Concerning Students' Academic Load?

  • A full-time student is allowed to register a maximum of 19 credit hours.
  •  A part-time student is allowed to register a minimum of 12 credit hours.
  • Students on probation may not register for more than 15 credit hours stipulated by the approval of the head of the department.
  • A full-time student is allowed to register 21 credit hours if the student is:
  • Expected to graduate.
  •  Has a cumulative average of 80% or above.
  • Enrolled in a program that has 70 credit hours (for diploma only) or above.
  •  A full-time student is allowed to register 9 credit hours in exceptional cases of academic load with the approval of the faculty's Dean.

Postponement of study

When is the student entitled to postpone his/her study? 

after a semester has passed since joining the university.

Postponement period: maximum of 4 separate or consecutive semesters.

 Who is not entitled to postpone?

 Freshmen students (first semester), transfer student, students who have changed majors.

Who is the discontinued student?

Any student who has not registered or postponed a semester. In the event of a desire to return, the student can continue his/her studies conditioned that s/he pay a fee of 30 dinars.

Can a student who withdraws from university return to study the same major?

Yes, conditioned that the returning student has not been dismissed, and his/her withdrawal has not exceeded 3 semesters.

When is the student put on academic probation?

  •  For undergraduate students: If the cumulative average is less than 65% in any of the semesters, including the first semester of his/her enrollment at the university.
  • For diploma students: If the student obtained a cumulative average less than 55% in any regular semester.

When is the student dismissed?

For a bachelor student:

If the student is unable to rectify his/her academic performance for two consecutive semesters.

If the student's cumulative average is less than 55% in any semester after the commencement of the study period.

If s/he has exhausted the legal period for obtaining his/her qualification.  

For diploma students

  • If the student is on probation for two consecutive academic semesters.
  • If the study was interrupted for more than 20% of the semester continuously without an excuse accepted by the College Council and/or the University Council.
  • If the is dismissed from a second major that s/he joined after dismissal from the first major enrolled in.
  • If s/he has exhausted the legal period for obtaining his/her qualification.  
  • A dismissed student is not entitled to return to study the same major.

When is the student not dismissed academically (for bachelor's degree only)?

If s/he completes a total of 75% of the study plan credit hours.

Repeating a course

  •  The retake grade cancels the grade achieved previously.
  • Students are not entitled repeat a course in which they scored 70% or above.

When can a student enroll in a course without completing its the prerequisite?

If the student scores 50% or above in the previous requirement.

When is a student allowed to study a course and its prerequisite simultaneously?

If the student is expected to graduate.

If the student had studied the previous requirement and obtained a mark of 41% or above.

What are the conditions for transferring from another university?

  • Fulfilling the admission requirements at the university.
  •  High school average or its equivalent must satisfy the faculty's admission requirements in the year the application is submitted.
  • The transfer must be from a college or university recognized by PTUK.
  • The student must have successfully completed at least 30 credit hours or an academic year at the university from which s/he is transferring.
  • The student's cumulative average at that university should not be less than 70% or a good grade.
  • The student should not be on probation or expelled from the university from which s/he wishes to transfer.

How are courses calculated for a transfer student?

The total calculated hours should not exceed 50% of the credit hours required for the major transferred to, according to the following conditions:

  • The subjects offered for the bachelor's degree at PTUK are considered reference points in terms of the number of credit hours, the names of the subjects, the content, and the theoretical and practical hours.
  • The course content at the university or college from which the student is transferring must match the content of the course in the college by at least 80%.
  • The grade in each of the courses should not be less than 70% or a good grade.
  • If the course content matches the content of more than one of the transferred courses, it can be calculated. 
  • The grades of transferred courses are not included in the cumulative average at PTUK and are placed under the title of courses calculated from a university (the name of the university from which you transferred).
  •  One semester is deducted from the upper limit of the years of graduation for every (15) credit hours counted for the transferred student.
  • A transferred student is treated as a new student for the purposes of postponement, academic probation, and dismissal from the university.
  • A student who transfers from one college to another within the same university is treated as a new student, and some courses may be calculated after the approval of the College Council in accordance with the above conditions.

When can I study an alternative course for the course in the study plan?

  • You can study an alternative course to another subject in the semester of graduation, provided that:
  • You have not failed a compulsory course in your study plan 3 times.
  • The course that is required for the completion of your degree was not offered.
  • The course is offered, but contradicts in time with the rest of the courses in your schedule.

When is a student entitled to study an elective course?

In the semester preceding the graduation semester.

Is it possible to change the major for a new student during the first semester?

Yes, if it is in the period of admissions.

Can non-Palestinian students apply to join the university?

Yes, they can.

Is there a tuition waiver for a student with a high school diploma from some Arab countries?

No, students from Arab countries are treated the same as Palestinian students.

Can the student retake the placement exam in case of failure?

No, s/he cannot.

What is the language of study at the university?

Arabic language, but some courses taught in English.

Is there health insurance for university students?

Yes, there is.

Is a student who holds an ICDL certificate exempted from studying remedial computer skills course?

A student who holds an ICDL certificate is not exempted from studying a remedial computer skills course.

Is a student who holds a TOEFL exam certificate exempted from studying English (1) or English (2) courses?

TOEFL test certificate does not exempt from studying English (1) and English (2) courses.

What is the university's academic calendar?

It is a calendar that highlights the university's activities of interest to students.

Is it permissible for a student who has completed the requirements of graduation to repeat courses to increase his/her cumulative average?

A student who has completed graduation requirements may not retake courses to raise his/ her GPA.

What happens if I retake a course that I have already passed in the first attempt and fail in the second attempt?

The "fail" grade in the retake will cancel the "pass" grade achieved previously.